Monday, September 19, 2011

Just listen

So I am not working this week...not by choice, but because the club didn't need me this week. Not working is driving me crazy and it's only been two days. I like to work, although it might annoy me, it keeps me busy and I actually like what I do. Like I've said millions of times before, the pool is the best job ever, but working inside is totally different. I know all the moms and all the kids because they're the only ones who really use the pool. When I'm inside, all the other girls know all the men because that's all they see. So I am completely confused by all the names and always have to ask who is who unless the wife is with the man. It's weird but oh well.

Today was a normal day. Wake up, breakfast, school and the gym. But I also got the pleasure of taking a catnap and then going to see a long time friend. I met Ashley at Harper & Madison, a cute little cafe with coffee, sandwiches and pastries. The coffee was really good and the place was really nice. Ash and I got to talk about a lot of things and I think it was good for both of us. Plus I just really miss talking to Ash on a regular basis. She's just a really special person to me. After talking for two straight hours, we went to the Brew Pub to meet up with our friend Thomas and Alfonso (he's from Chile) for Spanish group. We talked in English for a while and then we, and when I saw we I mean Ash, Thomas and Alfonso, started talking in Spanish. I just listened.

I have taken Spanish, continually, since freshman year of high school. I technically started in fourth grade at John Deimer Elementary but that was just basic Spanish like counting, colors and weather. I wanted to speak Spanish because of the sound of the language and everyone who spoke it spoke so fast! I wanted that ability. I first tried speaking in English really fast to see if I could even attempt speaking in another language fast. I eventually mastered speaking...well? I think in Spain and a few weeks after I was doing pretty good, but the lack of use and lack of people to speak with really took a toll on my ability to speak off hand. I love Spanish and I don't really know why but it just fascinates me. I love speaking, reading, listening and writing Spanish. My Spanish skills have been alack for a long time and going to Spanish group tonight with Ash really made me feel stupid for not keeping up with my skills. Hopefully getting into the swing of things with going to Spanish group will help me get back to where I was. One thing that I didn't lose throughout the year my ability to listen and understand Spanish. So tonight I just listened, which was really nice. I love just hearing the language, even if it's broken down for teaching purposes.

So I sit here, pondering my pathetic Spanish skills, trying to think of ways to enhance them. Watching Gilmore Girls in the background and laying on my cars pillows, missing someone I see every day. Not only do I need to practice Spanish, I also need to get into a regular routine of writing on here. It's still kind of new, so it's easy to forget about it. Maybe I need a daily reminder.  I don't know. Either way, that's all for now. TTFN...ta ta for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment